Friday, October 29, 2010

Illustration Friday-- Spent

Did you ever feel like you wanted to clean the house rather than draw?  Nah, me either.  But it is time well spent.  Don't you just feel more on top of things when your house is clean??  More productive, creative, even better looking?

So here's my thought process today as I mopped the kitchen floor and cleaned the bathrooms (because it does have to be done eventually, right?  By somebody...)  I thought, I could render a beautiful family moment for Illustration Friday's prompt Spent-- and believe me when I say I got all choked up and teary-eyed over it-- or I could do a quick sketch of a mop and bucket.  That, and a really big bag of fun-size treats on the counter, led me to remember just about the best Halloween costume that ever appeared on our doorstep, which was this:


Yes, it was a 12-year-old-ish boy dressed as a janitor with a leash threaded through a wrapping paper tube and a shaggy dog as a mop!  I will never forget that kid.

So there you go, a post that is a bit of a stretch for IF, but timely for Halloween, and my house smells like lemons.  Nyah, nyah, na, na, na!

15 comments:

  1. How perfectly adorable, and the little pup got to go trick or treating, too! This post was a treat to read! However, today we'll have to settle for our lemons on the tree outside...the housework is just going to have to wait! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute, don't you love costumes like that? I wish my house smelled like lemons, but I am too tired to mop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! Both the words and the ill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creating this piece was time well SPENT Krista :o) I'd like to meet that kid's parents. They must be outrageous! In a good way ;o). I always feel better looking in a clean house too. That's why I like to stop over at my sister's place :o) Your line work in this illo is wonderful my friend! That dog ROCKS! ... and the boy and his expression....SWEEEEEET!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous costume idea!!!! I bet he was so cute! I want to give that doggy a hug, what an adorable expression Krista...I love your work so very much! Happy Halloween - xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heisann! For the first time since halloween became what it is today, we had no children at the door.
    Now we have all the sweets for overselves for weeks...
    ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, your house may smell like lemons, but your artwork never does! What a cute cute illo! Awww, love that doggy face. And that costume idea is wowzers brilliant! Hahahahahaha, love it!

    I heard about a costume where the person dressed entirely in pink and tied a sneaker on his head. He was stepped-on bubble gum.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun costume and you've made a great illo. You are right that you feel better when everything is cleaned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear ya! I'm living alone in the city...so I do all the cleaning myself...and its not fun, but yes- it does make me feel all sort of incredible! ;) Great piece, and what a fun little kid, sweet costume!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is excellent, and I agree I do feel so much better in a clean, organised space. We don't get much into Halloween over here (although the advertising and shop people have been trying to push it over the past few years, trying to part us from more of our money) but that is definately a much more creative costume than Dracula or a ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee Hee... daily obligations, bleck... especially the household kind. I would love to just dawdle and play in my studio all day!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent illustration and what an amazingly imaginative kid!
    I remember a bible-themed fancy dress party once where a guy dressed as Jesus and had a broom - said it was a mistranslation of the shortest verse in the Bible - 'Jesus wept'

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe, well you have me grining, and I am convinced, and tho there is no colour it is colour full - see you when I get back from blogaholidays

    :)

    ReplyDelete